6-bolt adapter plate

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 6-bolt adapter plate
From: MWood24020 <MWood24020@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:40:46 EST
Being new to the Tiger list and a complete computer illiterate, I am probably
responding to the wrong address or performing some other faux pas. However, I
have read a number of items which seem to pertain to problems in running a
narrow-ear, Tiger type toploader with a later six-bolt block and as I ran into
that situation when installing a late-model 302 in my Tiger, I thought I would
throw in the proverbial "two cents".
The solution we finally arrived at was to take a standard, aluminum six-bolt
bellhousing, drill holes at the appropriate spots indicated by the early
transmission and weld aluminum dowel (to be drilled and tapped) "bosses" to
the rearside of the holes. This was an easy, cheap answer which has caused
zero problems over years of vigorous use, including autocrossing and open
track.
One other thing, most slave cylinder brackets made for this swap are junk.
They flex to an unacceptable degree even with a stocker clutch. We finally
welded reinforcing ribs to the back of an aluminum plate piece, cut in the
appropriate pattern.
I'm not even going to get into balancing out the reciprocating assembly using
an early 289HP damper and late model billet flywheel...