Re: Clutch Question

To: David Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>, Tigers Den <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Question
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:44:57 +0000

David Binkley wrote:

> The clutch in my 65 Mark 1 engages pretty much at the end of the pedal
>travel.  It engages smoothly without any chatter.  There isn't much noticable
>freeplay in the pedal at the end of the travel.  Underneath at the slave
>cylinder, the rod still has some adjustment left - about a half inch.  Tried
>shortening the rod but can't get the big nut at the end to move.  (Don't have
>a shop manual yet).
>
> Any suggestions - how much adjustment is there or am I up against putting a
>new clutch in.  Don't know how long this clutch has been in the car.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dave Binkley

A hydraulic system is not designed for "fre-play" on the Tiger, and the
"adjustment" rod is not supposed to be adjusted. There is no instructions on
adjustment in the manual. You do have a choice of where to put the clevis pun
in the dual-hole clutch pedal arm attaching to the clutch master cylinder. You
want this in a comfortable position. If you find you need to adjust this
connection to allow
sufficient stroke to disengage the clutch, something is wrong. When I replaced
mine, the Lucas/Girling kit came with a "Universal" master cylinder shaft with
an adjustable clevis. This won't fir the Tiger, so I put the old one in and
stretched the new rubber dust cover over the old clevis.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >