Re: Advice on Pulling Engine

To: laifman@flash.net, dleit@mintcity.com
Subject: Re: Advice on Pulling Engine
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:25:55 EST
In a message dated 98-02-25 11:32:33 EST, laifman@flash.net writes:

>  I agree that a rolling chassis is better than one with only two wheels, but
>  having the engine, and tranny, on a rolling steel carrier (see Mark Olson's
>  web page" ) is a definite plus.
I know debating this is like debating religion, but having built and used that
steel trolly to move the engine, and having done mine out and in the top, and
Joe and Bryon's out and in the bottom, I'm here to say out and in the bottom
is the way to go.  Disconnecting the brake lines is no big deal, as is the
steering knuckle.

One thing people haven't mentioned about going in over the top is the need to
drain the transmission.  If you tilt the motor/tranny combo on end, the fluid
will leak out the end of the tranny housing.  Replacing tranny fluid isn't a
big deal while the transmission is in the car, but by going in the bottom, you
can do this while the transmission sits on the steel dolly. No fuss, no muss.

And speaking of the steel trolly, I know some people have frowned on making
such "an elaborate contraption" when a piece of wood on a creeper would work.
In my mind, that's like saying  give Picasso (if he were still alive) some
cheap Harbor Freight paint brushes and he could make Guernica all over again.
Or give Greg Norman some cheap old garage sale 60's vintage K-mart golf clubs,
and he's shoot low 60's.  Come to think of it, Greg Norman probably could.
Anyway, if you or your friends need to pull a motor, make a decent trolly, use
wood, steel, playdough, whatever.  Not all of us are the Tiger equivalents of
Greg Norman or Pablo Picasso.  Your back will thank you, your heart will thank
you, America will thank you.

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas