Aluminum Radiator and Manifold Protection

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Aluminum Radiator and Manifold Protection
From: Larry Paulick <larry@netkonnect.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:21:26 +0100
Cullen and Steve have some very good ideas, and very pracital.  Worth
using on any car.

The Mercedes Benz group has been discussing this for years, since alot
of owners keep their cars for 225K miles or more, as I did.

Solution for dissimalar metals, like intake manaifolds, radiators, and
head of aluminum with iron block?  Use Mercedes antifreeze.

Yes, at first, I was questioning this as well, until I called the
Mercedes OEM supplier, I think Zerox, and asked about their formulation
for Mercedes, and indeed it is different, even from what Zerox sells
over the counter for cars with aluminum parts.  They even sent me the
specs by FAX for their standard antifreeze, antifreeze made for cars
with aluminum parts, and the Mercedes antifreeze.

The chemist at Zeroz, who had no axe to grind, explained in detail over
the phone, why they did what they did for each 3 formulations.

Bottom line, it is more expensive, but has a pH, and inhibitors that are
better in the long run for cars with major parts, with dissimilar
metals, like aluminum, and iron.

Larry