Re: turn signal flashers

To: ccaciopp@haverford.edu (Curt Cacioppo)
Subject: Re: turn signal flashers
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:48:17 -0400
At 09:55 AM 4/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm wondering if anyone has advice on this.  For the second time in the
>last few years I have had to replace the little white plastic leg that
>holds the turn signal arm in position.  This last time I changed it and
>reassembled the flasher unit and wiring, the flashers have ceased to work.
>The horn works (this runs off a purple and black wire).  The other three
>wires are red/green, green/white, and brown/green.  They look fine, as do
>the contacts, and the connections match and are snug.  The warning light
>works too.  Just the turn signals fail to function.
>
>Thanks.  Curt.
>TIGER 260 Mk1A
 Curt,
      Five possibilities come to mind.
        1. There is a spring loaded contact about 1/8" wide and
bent in a squared off U shape.  A small coil spring fits behind
this contact.  This contact is moved into position to connect the
stationary "brass round head rivet" contacts.  Did you misplace
these during the rebuild?  They fall out when the assy is taken apart.

        2. The three   xxx/green wires also connect under the dash to the
wiring harness with the "most excellent Lucas" bullet connectors.  Are the
wires connected correctly?

        3. The flasher unit is located under the dash above the
steering column and plugged into the "most excellent Lucas
cardboard and milk glue connector.  Is the flasher firmly
inserted in the connector?  Is the flasher any good?  The
most excellent Lucas flasher connector has a tendency for the contacts
to  make intermittant and poor contact with the flasher spade
terminals.  Is the flasher the correct unit? The universal
replacement flashers may not work.

        4. The turn signal light assemblies are grounded by the mounting
screws.  It is typical to have a bad ground due to rust or dirt.
A bad ground on either the front or rear signal lights can stop
the flasher from operating on the side with the bad ground.

        5. A burned out or loose  bulb will also stop the flasher.  The flasher
needs the combined load of front and rear bulbs to operate.

Test wiring, ground and lights as follows:
        Apply 12 volts to green/ white wire at the switch.  The right hand
front and rear signal light should light.
        Apply 12 volts to the green/red wire at the switch.  The left hand
front and rear signal light should light.

        Test the light green/brown wire at the switch.  It should have
12 volts on it.  Loading this wire with two parallel bulbs to ground
should cause the flasher to click and the dash mounted green flasher
 indicator lamp to flash.

        The green wire at the flasher connector should have 12 volts
on it.  This wire also feeds the 12 volts to the instrument voltage
stabiliser, so if your fuel gauge and water temp doesn't work then
 your turn signal power source may be bad.  The green wire continues
to the "most super dupper excellent Lucas" fuse holder where it
normally is connected with a spade lug.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others