Re: turn signal flashers

To: ccaciopp@haverford.edu (Curt Cacioppo)
Subject: Re: turn signal flashers
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 22:04:44 -0400
At 09:55 AM 4/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm wondering if anyone has advice on this.  For the second time in the
>last few years I have had to replace the little white plastic leg that
>holds the turn signal arm in position....
>Thanks.  Curt.
>TIGER 260 Mk1A
 Curt,
        If the signal light return stop is bent up too high
or it is not centered on the signal light assy when wheels
are streight then the nylon spring/"white plastic leg" you
refered to will break very quickly.  The return stop
is part of a band that goes around the steering column.
This band is fastened by friction by tighting up a little
screw and nut.  If the return stop is offset from the
center location, then when you operate the turn signal
lever, the nylon spring/leg may hit the stop and eventually
break off.  This is also a good reason to apply your
turn signals the legal 100 ft. before the turn (Assuming you
 are going streight ahead at that point).  Applying the turn
signals after starting the turn can cause the nylon spring/leg
to hit the return stop even if all things are adjusted
correctly.
        If your wheels are streight and you feel resistance
at the turn signal lever when you apply the turn signal
lever then there may be problems with the adjustment.

        This design is one of the better ideas from Lucas.
The design actually punishes you if you fail to obey the traffic law.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others