Hart top headliner II

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hart top headliner II
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:55:39 +0100
Tigers,

This time I'm looking for, rather than giving, information.

Maybe the sequel will be better than the original.

While I have been seeing, and providing, technical Tiger info for some time, I
have been completely underwhelmed by the response to the
first question I asked.

I needed to know the procedure for fastening the hard top headliner to the front
"z" channel, as mine was completely wrong.  I expected to be  inundated with at
least a half dozen contradictory recommendations.  Instead, I got a few
questions.

Now I have to conclude that:

1)  Everybody thought it so obvious it didn't need explaining.
2)  Everybody thought someone else answered the question.
3)  My question was unclear.
4)  I'm the only one with a hard top.
5)  I've got the only Tiger on the list that even has, or needs a headliner
replacement.

For the sake of those who were out of town, the question was:

The PO had installed the headliner by pop riveting the liner underneath the "z"
shaped "brown" strip at the front, leaving it visible.  I was sure
this was wrong and ordered a new liner.  It came with the liner, extra material
for covering the sun visors, no cloth strip reputedly required,
and no instructions.

My original top bows are (front to rear) white, red, blue, and green at the
back.  The color code is at the end of the rod.  The center of the
hardtop has a square of rubbery pad (to deaden sound) in the top center.  It has
turned to rock, and broke off easily.  The next layer is like
the burlap and horsehair mat under the dash (the dust is unbelievable).  Any
recommended replacements would be useful.  Aside, the right
hand door had some asphalt sheet on the inner panel, as a sound deadener.  It
had all been "gathered" by the window and crammed into the
bottom.  The left hand door was bare.

Any recommendations on replacement materials and application for "sound
deadening"  would be appreciated.

Any knowledgeable installation instructions for the headliner would be
appreciated.

Surely someone has done this job successfully.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >