Re: intake manifolds

To: "Gegg, Bill" <billgegg@ci.antioch.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: intake manifolds
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:30:22 +0100
Greg,

Very generous to offer a valuable trunk lid.

As to your manifold question, I've had soe experience with both Mustangs and
Tigers, and have recently shared this with some list people.  As to your
individual needs, it is most important that you know what result you want.  For
every plus, there is a downside that must be acceptable.  First, determine the
type of driving you will be doing most.  Second, budget how much you would be
willing to spend to acheive it.  Third, re-evaluate after you've got the bottom
line price.

I'll give you some examples, of which I am familiar.

1) I want a good performing street use Tiger.  It should be quick off the line,
run smoothly through it's rpm range from 1,000 rpm lower end with smooth idle,
and top out about 6,000 rpm.  I don't want to modify my stock hood or body.  I
want good low end torque, so I don't have to red-line it to get performance. I
would like to be "stock" Tiger options, if possible.

These happen to have been my criteria, and I am using a stock 260 block, head,
and cam.  An Edlebrock F4B manifold is combined with a Holley 1848-1 465 CFM new
carb.  This is the LAT option. The only drawback to this selection is the 1848
does not have a PCV port tube in the carb base.  I tried the Boss 1/4 spacer,
but the front edge of the air cleaner brushes the paint off the stock hood, with
new engine mounts.  I resolved this by buying a later model Holley 600 CFM 1850
throttle plate for about $38, and it has the tube in the base.  Another
modification, still in the stock leaugue, was to put a MkII wide ratio gearbox
in.  You could modify a MkI, IA by just replacing the gears for the same
result.  Good flexible engine, breaths well and runs smooth and quick to 6,000
rpm and with the new gearing, really gets off the line well.  Top gear same as
before, 1:1 top and 2.88:1 rear.  Slightly larger tires.  Good mileage. Add
Pertronix ignition and coil.

2)  I dont mind a little roughness at idle, but want power to 6500 rpm.  I don't
mind some flat spots due to too large a carb, as long as I get more at the
higher rpm.  I don't care if it's stock Tiger option.  I can't afford, or don't
want to change heads.

Here, you might want to consider the Edelbroker Performer RPM manifold.  It is
similar to the F4B in concept, but a lot better done with thirty years more
experience in design and manufacture.   Combining this with the Edlbrock 600 CFM
Performance carb, which is slightly lower than the Holley, and the manifold is
slightly higher than the F4B may fit OK.  Need to do the mearsurements against
what you know fits. (Hollley and F4B) .  Edelbrock Tech support can give you the
appropriate heights for any combination.  Combine this with one of their milder
street cams, and you'll have a very smooth engine, with a little roughness at
idle from the new cam.  Watch out for too much lift letting the exhaust valve
hit the pistons.

3)  I want it ALL.

You can't.  The bigger valved heads, like Edelbrock or Trick Flow aluminum big
valve heads, headers, big performance cams, etc. will give you more power than
you can put thru the tires/rear axle.  But forget that smooth idle, it will
shake like a wet dog under 2,000 rpm, and you'll have to wind it out to
6500-7000 for top end.  The pistons will all have to be special so the valves
don't hit them, your car will be able to pass anything but a gas station.  Then
someone with fuel injection,  or Nitro will blow your doors off.  You'll have
about a $4,000 hole in your pocket, depending on who does the work.

Anyway, there's no substitute for cubic inches, which is why you own a Tiger not
an Alpine in the first place.  Someone out there already has the 351 Cleveland
tricked out and waiting for you.

There are a lot of good options available, depending on your real desires, and
your pocket book.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >