Re: Heater valve control, etc.

To: Rich Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: Heater valve control, etc.
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:14:35 +0100

Rich Atherton wrote:

>     Usually, the best supply of control cables can be found at Marine supply
> stores.  Living here in Seattle, we have several large scale marine supply
> companies.  I when I was fabricating the throttle system for my old 65 Imp
> (using four 23mm carbs from a Honda 550-4), I had to build a whole new cable
> system.  The marine supply stores had bulk cable and bulk cable casings which
> used to build the system.  This is what I would reccomend.
>
> Rich
>
> PS:    Of course, use whatever works !!

Rich,

Perhaps the use of the term "control cable" is confusing.  It is not a cable, in
the sense of a bicycle brake "cable", or a typical "Bowden" cable.  There is no
wound flexible cable that operates in tension, in concert with a sheath guide.
Rather, this is a solid piece of stiff steel wire which operates by both pushing
and pulling.  To do this, it must be capable of tension and compression, which a
wound cable is not.  Therefore, the heater valve, air valve, and throttle
"cables"
on the Tiger are really flexible stiff rods that are guided by an outer sheath,
and operate in both tension and compression.  This really is not the same as the
motorcycle or marine twisted strand material you are discussing.  Sorry about
the
confusion, but Rootes calls them "cables", and in a sense, they are.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >