Screw counters wanted!

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Screw counters wanted!
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:22:13 +0100
To all you Tigers who count screws,

I've had another brain-storm.  Watch out, this guy could get dangerous.  I was
dismantling my car for painting, and noticed the chrome fastners used throught
the removable pieces (excluding engine and running gear) can get a little
pitted, worn, or discolored over time.  I thought of polishing them, but some
were beyond that.  Servicible,but not restorable.  re-chroming didn't really
appeal.

So, I checked around and found I could buy the oval Phillips head, pan Phillips
head, #6 sheet metal oval Phillips, finishing cups, etc. out of a good quality
stainless.  Of course, your local Home Depot doesn't know about any stainless
but round head slotted, and I haven't seen any of those.  I called about 3
manufacturers 3 reps, and some specialty houses.  I can get the #6x32 and #8x32
oval Phillips, the same in Pan head phillips, and the little phil;lips sheet
metal and finishers in stainless in boxes of 100.  Now I believe there are 26 ov
these little sheet metal screws and finisher cups inside the trunk, alone.

I have also found a good count abd size of every nut and bolt inside the engine
compartment.

Has anybody cataloged the chrome goodies, etc. that I removed from the car.
(Yeah, I sshould have counted while I was yanking it apart, but I jsut bagged
and tagged groups.  Need to know lengths and quantities of the #6 and #8 x 32
machine screws and pan heads, and maybe I remember some straight slot ones too.

With only a few people interested, we could replace those chrome ones with the
stainless, by splitting the order of the 100 pc. boxes.

Heck, maybe Curt, Rick, or TT have already done this "Stainless Kit" upgrade
already, and I just don't know it.

Anyway, the stuff is not expensive.  Less than $7-$10/100.  They probagly neeed
the heads buffed with some stainless rouge, but a drill motor, cloth wheel,
rouge, and a couple of boards clamping a line of screws up is all it takes.
Harbor Freight and Supply - $6.00

Anybody a screw counter?  Any interest?  Anyone want a new business?

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >