Re: Engine bore and heat

To: tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Engine bore and heat
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 11:58:38 -0700
At 08:54 PM 5/3/98 -0400, pamelam@connix.com wrote:

>>>I putting a stock 5bolt 289 engine in my Tiger. The engine has been
>>>rebuilt (stock) and bored .040.
>>>                     Thanks, John
>>
>>        My Tiger II came with a stock 6 bolt 289.  There is little
difference
>>in the cooling required for the 260 and the 289.  If your 260 ran cool then
>>the 289 probably will also.  If you overheated on the 260 then you have the
>>same problem.  Recommend at the minimum having your original radiator
>>core replaced with a new modern core.
>>Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>
>John,
>My engine builder is very reluctant to bore a SB Ford beyond .030" over.
>Anything beyond that is prone to having cooling problems, so Jim's good
>advice on the core should be followed.
>
>Bob Melusky

John,

I second (or third) Bob's and Jim's suggetion, with one step further.  If
doing a recore, it is critical to dictate to the shop the core you want.  I
have had good luck with the following: MODINE 4 row core, "H" model that is
2-1/8" thick, with a fin spacing of 14 fins per inch.  My original appeared
to be rather stock and 2-3/4" thick.  This hi-po retrofit worked quite well
for me, and looks very stock once the copper core is painted black.

Regards,

Allan
B9472373