Re: Engine bore and heat

To: john brawley <johnj7@gte.net>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine bore and heat
From: Dave McDermott <dave.mcdermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 13:07:47 -0600
        John,

        I think you are asking for trouble on a .040 over engine. I believe
even .030 is marginal. They call the Ford 260/289 engine a thin wall casting
for a reason. When the wall gets too thin among other things the cooling is
affected as the heat does not transfer the same way to the cooling system.
Some of the hot shoe Ford vintage racers I know are sleeving every small
block 289 just to avoid the heating problems of bored engines. One is also a
former Ford engineer. They have found a significant difference on the dyno
in testing sleeved and unsleeved motors even when the sleeved ones are then
bored out to .030 over. Apparently the sleeve provides the correct thickness
for good cooling. I know it adds a lot to the cost but if it saves a lot of
heating problems later it is worth it. It sounds like the engine is not in
the car yet. If so, if it were me I would take it apart, have it sleeved,
install new standard pistons and rings and then reasseble.

        Dave McDermott