Re: Trunk Side Panels

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trunk Side Panels
From: Cool VT <CoolVT@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:05:25 EDT
Stu,
  I did my trunk over shortly after the interior.  I ended up cutting side
panels out of  common lumber yard 1/4" plywood that I had lying around.  I
covered it with black carpeting that I had left over from the interior.  I
know it's not original, but I wanted something to dress up the trunk.  I also
cut a piece to cover the back wall (against the passenger compartment) and
covered it with carpet.

  I attached both with small sheetmetal screws which I believe I hit with
black paint to hide.  I would have to remove 6-8 screws to remove a side
panel, but it's not something I have to do very often.  I found that by
covering the panels with carpet that they had to be made a shade smaller than
the plastic pieces that I traced because the carpteting took up a little space
on the edges since I cut the carpeting a touch larger around the edges so
there would be no gaps.

I have an industrial sewing machine so I was able to put black binding on all
the carpet edges.  I made up the interrior carpeting as well.  I think about
$80.00 worth of carpeting did the interior and trunk.  I'm definitely not a
professional at it, but it's a pretty acceptable job.

Sorry if I got long winded on the subject.   Mark L.