Mobil 1

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mobil 1
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:57:42 -0700
Listers,

I was watching something on the SpeedVision channel this morning about
turbocharging airplanes and they referred to the "Mobil 1 fiasco" which
involved Mobil having to replace one of their engines. Am I living in a
cave? This is the first I've heard about this. I don't use Mobil 1 myself,
but I know others who do. I do use synthetic oils in the engine, tranny,
and differential, and synthetic grease in all the bearings. I trust them to
do a better job, especially at high temperatures. Anybody out there know
some more about this problem with Mobil 1 synthetic oil??

On another more familiar subject, I think I will repeat what I think is an
important consideration when mounting a pusher type electric fan; namely,
that it should be sealed against the radiator, otherwise most of the air
just gets blown sideways instead of going through the radiator. Also, you
really want a pusher style fan with a small diameter motor, not a flat
motor that blocks the air flow. Finally, if you are really serious about
being able to stay cool with the motor idling, a dash mounted throttle
adjust is a big help. Most of the time you probably want your idle set at
800 rpm, even higher depending on your cam, etc. However, at higher rpms,
run-on after your shut off the ignition is a problem and also, you can
reduce your heat load to the radiator by backing down to a lower rpm. Now
that I have a throttle adjustment on the dash (just throttle, not choke), I
wouldn't be without it. Before having it, I was forever re-adjusting the
idle speed.

Bob
B9472134, SHO, etc.