Re: More Speedometer Cable Questions

To: LannieH@aol.com
Subject: Re: More Speedometer Cable Questions
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:30:39 -0400
At 04:41 PM 6/2/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Last summer I decided to change to change my speedometer cable gear, since my
>speedometer ran about 10% fast, & while I was at it I also replaced the cable.
>Before this the only problem I had was the fast speedometer, but now I have a
>new problem.  It goes to slow, I think I need to put in a 20 tooth gear, &
>when I get to about to 60 mph the needle starts bouncing.  It will bounce from
>around 50 to 80 to 90 mph.  I have no Idea how fast I am going.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>Lannie Hunton
>1965 Tiger
>B9471395

        I have found that most replacement speedometer cables are too long.
The square end bottoms out in the hole of the speedometer.  This applies
unusual force to the internals of the speedometer.  Wear occurs quickly and
the clearances open up until the rotating magnet comes in contact with the
aluminum cup.  At this point the needle jumps.  In some cases the shaft of
the rotating magnet actually seizes due to the extra pressure, and then
everything stops, including the end of the cable.
A "jumpy" speedometer can be repaired, but it takes a lot of effort.
        Also be aware that the Alpine speedometer cable is larger at the square
end than the Tiger/Ford cable.  This is a problem when you try to replace a
Tiger speedometer with an Alpine (or MG) speedometer. The cable is loose and may
rotate in the rear of the speedometer.  Likewise when you try to use a Tiger
or a a US aftermarket speedometer in an Alpine with the original Alpine
cable ( assuming that you have changed out the fitting to the 5/8 nut that
will fit) the cable end is too large to fit in the hole.
        I was able to put a JC Whitney speedometer in my Alpine by changing
to the 5/8" nut and then grinding down and silver soldering the cable end to
fit.
The speedometer fits perfectly in the original case with the original glass
removed from the chrome bezel and a couple of holes drilled in the case for
the lamp etc.  This will work for a Tiger if you want to know how fast you
are going instead of being worried about original parts.  The Tiger/Ford
cable will work as is for the J C Whitney speedometer ( 0 to 120 is all I
could find.  < $80 with trip meter.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others