Gear Shift Rebuild

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gear Shift Rebuild
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:53:32 -0400
Tiger Folks,
        I have now got most of the slop out of my Tiger's gear shifter.
Besides replacing the round pin with a 9/32 and welding up and grinding to
fit the oval pin, I brased a 3/4" section from an old lower A arm bushing to
the right side and filled it with babbit around the main shaft.  A similar
1/8" long tube ( from an upper A arm bushing) was brased to the sheetmetal
on the left side and filled with babbit around the shaft.  The short section
was necessary to clear the return spring when shifting into reverse.  I
replaced the old shims with a newly fabricated one 39/1000" thick.  I now
have 1/4" play in the shift lever when measured at the shift ball and the 3
levers secured in a vise.  Previously there was 2 to 3" of slop.
        I need to replace the reverse finger grip lever as one side was
broken last year.  I know that the cable is brased to the reverse lockout
fitting, but I
apparently need a tool to remove the shift ball after all these years.  Two
small holes are in the chromed piece under the black shift ball.  I would
have tried to fabricate a tool tonight but it was very hot and humid when I
got home.  Does anyone have a low cost source for the tool I need?  I tried
to use a punch and vice grips on a spare from another car and promply messed
it up.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others