Re: Speedometer Cable Questions

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Cable Questions
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 22:03:40 -0400
At 08:26 AM 6/3/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Jim,
 snip...If you have a MkII, look at the face and see if it
>say's 980 or 1000.

Steve,
 Thanks, it says 1020, live and learn I guess.  I had noticed that
the numbers on the face were different than a 66 Tiger, but
I wasn't aware that the  calibration number was included as well.
(The number is very small at the bottom right).

  I also have a 17 tooth nylon gear on the cable.

  I need to redo the calibration for 1020.
  I had previously rebuilt the speedometer including
remagnetizing the bar magnet more than needed.  I ran the assembled
speedometer with a cable driven with my drill press (with twisted belt
 to reverse the rotation).
  At 1000 RPM drive, I used a tape degausser  to slowly
decrease the magnets power until the speedometer read 60 MPH.

        On my Alpine, I have an inline gear box to adjust the
speed of the cable.  It is a Smith gear box I thank.  It came
with the Alpine, installed by the PO.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others