Re: Speedometer Cable Questions

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speedometer Cable Questions
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 22:20:42 -0400
At 07:59 PM 6/3/98 EDT, you wrote:
>My speedometer has always jumped and been inaccurate.  I had the speedometer
>rebuilt and found no change.  I've been told that the transmission shaft gear
>is probably worn and has to be replaced.  I haven't wanted to pull the trans.
>just for this so for the past 2 years I've relied on my tachometer for 4th
>geatr speeds.   The other gears I just guess at my speed and take it easy.
>  Does the worn shaft gear theory sound logical?  It is nylon and prone to
>wear?
>       Mark L.

Mark,
        As far as I know the shaft gear is hardened steel.  Try
disconnecting the
cable at the speedometer and putting a piece of tape ( as a flag) on it.
Run the Tiger and watch to see if the cable rotates smoothly.  If it does
then the problem is either the cable is too long where it enters the speedometer
or the speedometer is worn out.  Get the JC Whitney <$80 speedometer or similar
and stick it in the Tiger either temporally for another test or permanently
if it doesn't jump around.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others