Re: Smitty's Burgerfest

To: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Smitty's Burgerfest
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:44:17 EDT
Subj:   Re: Smitty's Burgerfest
Date:   06/05/98
To:     rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu

Bob---

I can assure you that no one was more surprised by my depature than I.  Unlike
modern tires, I learned real quick that those hard old Dunlops are like
driving on a street covered with marbles!  All I can remember is that line of
cars parked along the right side curb coming up at me real fast even though
the car was pointed left (more or less.)  I was about 1/2 second behind the
car and just along for the ride. Fortunately, everything turned out all right,
except now the drivers seat cushion is all covered with scratches. And yes, I
guess the motor is broken in now.

Some further experimenting on the trip home revealed that in a turn the back
end drifts out with even the slightest touch of the thottle, which invaribly
puts the car in a 4-wheel drift. This must have been how they drove 'em "back
in the old days."  Not unlike a dirt track sprint car I suppose, which helps
to explain why Norman Garrad referred to the Tiger as a "squirt machine."  You
just kind of point it in the general direction you want to go and "give it a
squirt."  Where it goes is kinda subjective.

Anne wasn't very happy when I finally related the experience to her.  After
admonishing me with the possibilites of what might have happened, etc., she
then said in a rather serious tone, "So how will the car do in the autocross
at Big Bear?" At first I said, "It'll do OK", then in a fit of conscience
changed that to "terrible."

Stay tuned.

Dick Barker