Re: Steering Knuckles??

To: alcon@earthlink.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering Knuckles??
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:23:20 EDT
Allan,
  Seems like when I replaced mine about 5-6 years ago that it wasn't all that
easy to just loosen things up and pull the wheel and therefore the column up
into the car.  It had probably never been removed and I'm sure I would have
broken the steering wheel if I had continued to yank and pull on it.
  If I remember right I removed all the bolts (and I think there were nuts
there too, but I can't remember now) and tried pulling on the steering wheel
and nothing moved.  I believe I pried with a large screwdriver between the
knuckles.  When I couldn't pry any longer because the shaft had disappeared
into the knuckle I remember placing an old used, short bolt in the nuckle and
[prying against it.  Then replacing that with a bolt a little longer and
prying again.  After a series of steps at prying it came very smoothly.  I
can't remeberr the exact proceedure,  but my rantings here might help as you
get into it.  I just remember that I didn't want to start pounding on things
and have something bent, banged up or broken.    Anyway it came apart smoothly
after a while.    Mark L.