Re: Top Loader/6 bolt 289 bellhousing

To: Laifman@Flash.Net
Subject: Re: Top Loader/6 bolt 289 bellhousing
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:59:14 EDT
Steve Laifman wrote:

>There was a Tiger specific scattershield, a Cobra with the "TIGER" name
replacing >the "COBRA" in the casting.  A picture is in Norman's book, and I
understand it is >quite rare. Have no idea if it is any good.  Ask the Cobra
guy down the street.

Steve is correct.  The LAT-7 scattershield for the Tiger was manufactured by
the Wedge corp., and was identical to the Cobra unit except for the lettering.
It was available for 5-bolt Tigers only.  Ford sold the Cobra 5-bolt version
as part no. C4OZ-6394-A, and offered a 6-bolt version as part no. C5ZZ-6392-A.
The 5-bolt model fits the Tiger without any problems or alterations of any
kind.  I have no experience with the 6-bolt, so can't say whether it fits a
Tiger or not, although my guess is it would probably also be OK.  These units
were made from carbon steel and weigh about 35 pounds!  As pointed out in "The
Book of Norman", they were adopted by both Ford and Shelby American for all of
their racing vehicles.

I have an NOS Cobra 5-bolt unit available.  Contact me for further info.

Dick Barker