Re: Timing

To: Joe Hankins <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:12:56 +0100
Joe,

A few ideas for you.

1) To find TDC, remove the spark plug from #1 cylinder and use a dial indicator
(with appropriate holders) and rotate engine (ignition OFF) slowly until max
piston height.  Note and mark harmonic balancer.

2) Your harmonic balancer may have deteriorted and shifted location, giving you
a false reading.

3) If you put a Pertronix in a "Dual Point", I believe you now have a "single
point".   Don't worry, it's much better.  I have one in the stock distributor,
with a little work on weights, springs, and vacuum advance adjustments.

4)  You could have installed the distributor off a few teeth.  Easy enough to
do, but you didn't have to remove the distributor for the Pertronix
installation.  Maybe removed for something else?

5) How do you know it's "way too advanced", if you don't believe the marks?
Does it "ping"?  BTW, I would not recommend going over 38-39 degrees total
advance.  Mine is set 7 degrees static, 20 degrees weights at 1800 rpm, and 10
degrees vacuum.  At full throttle, the vacuum isn't operating, and the advance
is 27 degrees, quick.  At cruise, or down hill or back-off, it can get to 37
degrees, but there's no load.

6) I don't think the "dual point" had vacuum, so in your case I'd limit it to
27-28 degrees, unless your running 8.0 to one compression, or are using AV gas
or racing fuel.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >