Re: holley carb

To: Alicia <larisab@ix8.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: holley carb
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:32:50 -0400
At 04:41 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>help,Im being gased out. any info on adjusting this rich carb,i never have
>gotten the right screws or how many turns right on any carb but i can't
>even come close on this one. just a place to start would be great. its a
>holly 2 bbl 450 ? guy at speed shop looked at it a year ago and said it was
>the center carb off a mid 60s vette tri power.(maybe its on strike with the
>uaw) thanks in advance. dan
>
>Alicia & Dan,
        Too rich at idle or too rich at above 2000 RPM?

I had a similar condition and found that the power valve
was leaking and the gasket between the base plate and the
throttle bore section was also bad.
        First try this: Spray carb cleaner down the four
small air holes at the front edge of the throttle bores.
Sometimes little pieces of stuff clog up the metering
plate and this may blow them out ( temporally).
        Recommend a rebuild kit and a good cleaning if the spray
does not help ( or you have lost the little red tube that came
with the carb cleaner).
        The idle adjustment screw starting point should be about
3/4 turn out for the bottom.  I find that less than 1/2 turn
from the 3/4 position will always work for me unless there is a
problem inside the carb.
        If the carb previously worked for you then there is no
 reason to change the main jets to a smaller size.  Main jets do
not wear out on a Holly, they just get plugged up (cause of lean
condition) or possibly they are loose enough to allow fuel to pass
around the jet (rare cause of extra rich condition).
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others