Re: Hardtop Bows

To: John Crawley <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Hardtop Bows
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:12:22 +0100
Steve Salata,

I've just re-built my hard top, and could tell you what the color code order
was, but that's little good without bows.  BUT, it does tell you that each of
the four bows are different.  The major eyeball difference is the length.  Look
at the holes in your top and measure the distance between them.  That's going to
give you a head start on the design.  They are all visually the same shape, and
the diameter can be inferred from the holes in the top.  The shapes are all very
similar, if not identical.  There is a "dog-leg" at each side.  These go
straight into the side holes, as they come out they take a right-angle step up
(more ore less) then another right angle step to go across the top.  The other
side is identical.  So, all the bows are alike except for length.  Since you
have to slide one "dogleg" thru the new material, it cant be any taller than the
inside of that fabric loop, and they fit easily.  The bows are "bowed" across
the width of the top, so the final liner shape is not flat.

Now that's what they look like, and how they work.  Underneath the liner is a
large sound-deadening center panel of what looks like dried out tar that cracks
and falls on your head.  A good replacement for here, and in the door panels,
are sound deadening "Q-Pads" sold in 6 packs at the 12 inch square size.  You'll
need two for both doors and the top, at about $20/package.  Then there was a
layer of burlap and jute that immediatiely starts going to dust.  I used a
thermal insulation with chopped mulit-color foam, like carpet pad, and an
aluminum foil on one side. There are more than one manufacturer for this
material.

Fitting the headliner, and especially the front piece on the special "z" shape
holder (which I hope you have) is not easy.  You need the available clips and
rubber (Sunbeam Specialties and Classsic Sunbeam).

Hope this helps.  If I had received your message before I got it all back
together, I could have made some measurements.  Suggest you try using
coat-hanger type wire for test bends to see what looks right.  And old headiner
would help you get it looking smooth.

Good luck

Steve
--