Overheating update

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overheating update
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 16:13:48 -0700
First, thanks for all the suggestions so far.  The 180 degree thermostat
which was in the motor does not open in a pot of boiling water, so
that's a good start on diagnosing this.  Bought both a 160 and a 180
thermostat, tested the 160 just to be sure - works fine.  Any particular
opinions for the bay area - 160 versus 180?

Am going to go ahead and pull the radiator while I'm at it and take it
to a shop to have it done right.  I don't know it's history, so this way
I'll know for sure.  Here's one question though.  The small metal tube
that exits from the top left of the radiator and then makes a 90 degree
bend toward the reservoir tank is kinked in the bend.  Pretty good at
that.  Was this a custom Rootes engineered feature or an artifact of the
cars history since leaving the factory?  Should I have it replaced while
at the radiator shop?

Thanks again for all the help!

Dave