RE: Overheating update

To: "Dave Binkley" <dbinkley@argotech.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Overheating update
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:34:50 -0700
Dave,

A definite YES on replacing this tube with no kinks.  Make damn sure the
shop notices the angle that the tube comes out.  If not, you will have to
take yours back to the shop to have it adjusted.  Sometimes they just don't
notice, in my case, they had it pointing back at the engine, rather than the
appropriate 45 degrees to the left of the engine.

Second, as per Steve's post, SPECIFICALLY require the shop to use the Modine
core exactly as Steve mentioned.  It is the correct "fit" and looks stock.
Finally, to minimize the damage to the radiator on the re-install, make sure
you cut a piece of masonite (1/8 inch) to cover the fins on
re-install....they are much thinner and more fragile than stock.  Suggest
you measure inside the core when you get the renewed radiator back, the
masonite just covers the fins, excluding the tanks.  This will give you
maximum clearance to get the radiator back in and will minimize the chance
of running it into something like the water pump on re-install.  Some people
use cardboard, but being a klutz, and cardboard is softer, I prefer the much
harder masonite----perferably tempered.

Personally, I would stick with the 180 degree thermostat, my car just will
not run right at anything less than 185 degrees. On this note I will defer
to my Bay Area associates.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

Allan