Re: Mazda Wannabe and wheels

To: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Subject: Re: Mazda Wannabe and wheels
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:56:10 +0100

Rande Bellman wrote:

> ...Also, some of us happen to resent this Wannabee connotation. Some of us
>like
> the
> Miata because we'd like to take a long trip away from home in a roadster, and
>we
> don't wannabee stuck by the side of the road. Speaking strictly of my East
>Coast
> brethern, they rarely take their Sunbeam even to work because of a perceived
>or
> real fear that it won't make the round trip.
>
> This is  change-daily-driver time for me, and while I may go back to a modular
> V8 Mustang GT or SVT, I'm also looking at Miatas, Stu, so be carefull what you
> say.

The Miata is an attractive car.  Before getting the Tiger, I test drove one
with my
wife.  Easy to operate.  Air conditoning a treat.  Snappy performer, with
supercharger available.  A hardtop can be gotten for only an arm, but it looked
like
great fun.

As I was tooling down the freeway, I imagined nice weekend B&B's with the fair
one.
Got back to the lot and looked it over closely.  The trunk compartment has about
enough room for a car cover.  Beyond that, you are asking for trouble.  Behind
the
front seat, well ther IS no behind the front seat.  With the top down (or up)
maybe
a road map would fit.  I'd have to jettison the passenger to take a single baf
of
groceries.  There went the romantic weekends.

Now the Tiger.  A 26 inch wheeled suitcase fits ecactly between the fenderwell
and
the battery rise in the trunk platform.  A moderate hanging bag, or duffel,  can
then fit in thespace between the luggage and the rear, and there is still space
over
the battery for the toiletries luggage, or the car cover.  Behind the front
seat is
plenty of room for groceries bags, box luches and a wine cooler, hats.  Under
the
rear platform is room for mechanical goodies as well as teh "sac-jacs" for
emergency
wear.

Weekend?  I could (and do) go for a week, or more.

I quess the Miata is a cute little commuter car, if you are alone, and don't
have a
very big breifcase.

BUT, they do sell an outside luggage rack (also available for Tigers), if you
don't
mind who walks off with your stuff.

Steve
--