Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?

To: "Tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bill Goebner" <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?
From: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrr2@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:29:51 -0700

----------
> From: Bill Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
> To: Sunbeam Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 7:18 AM
>
> I now have an aftermarket no-name very noisy fuel pump that I want to
replace.
> Someone told me that a Mallory pump is a very good one to get but I
haven't
> been able to easily find one yet.
>
> Is that a good one or is there another reliable, quiet pump that I should
use?
> I'd like to get a model number too if possible.

I am running a Mallory 140 pump and they are not quiet..spendy too, but it
puts out about 14psi (I was told I would need 12lbs flowing for the nitrous
system).  Before that I ran a Carter centrifugal pump for several years
that was relatively inexpensive (I think it was about $40.00) and if you
mount it in rubber isolators it is pretty quiet.  The one thing you have to
remember about centrifugal pumps is that they push fuel like crazy but
don't suck it uphill worth a damn, so it is imperative that you mount it
low, near the tank. If I remember correctly, it puts out about 7psi.
Bob