Re: Tires

To: Crimmins@pacbell.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tires
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 18:47:59 EDT

<< Any tips on good tires and
 which where to order them.  I would like tires rated or overrated for
 the cars performance. >>
There are a limited number of choices running a 13" rim. The question is, are
you willing to fit a tire which is not very suitable for wet conditions? Most
of us have gone from Yokohama A008s (no longer available in 185/70 or 205/60)
to the BF Goodrich Comp TA R1 (205/60-13). I've also known some to run Kumho
and Toyo. The thing is, all the above are marginal in terms of wet weather
traction and wear rating. If you need a more all around tire, try Yokohama AVS
intermediate (205/60-13).
As far as prices go, I've had great luck at America's Tire Company and Mark
Morris here in the SF Bay Area. What I do is get the mail order price from
Tire Rack or Discount Tire Center and then ask the manager of both those
chains to meet it. This has led to my consistently buying all my tires at what
I think is a very competitive price.
Mike Wood
'67 Tiger 302
'67 Crusader FV vintage racer