Re: Book Report

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Book Report
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:27:25 -0700
Jim, et Listers,

Oh, if only mistaking a Chevy small block for a Ford were Dave's only
mistake!!
As many of you know, Dave Friedman was the guest speaker at TUXXIII's buffet
dinner. I sat at the same table as Dave, and it was interesting hearing him
talk about things; like the problem of the proliferation of Cobras with the
same chassis number. It seems Dave gets requests from various owners all over
the U.S. asking for photos of "their famous car", all of which are the same
car. Obviously, Tigers are not the only marque with an authenticity problem.

For his talk, Dave mostly showed pictures he had taken at the Shelby factory
and at various tracks, probably many of which are in his book. Many in the
audience were shocked and dismayed that Dave claimed the only "Tiger" that
Shelby was ever involved with was the #45 car, and that it arrived from
England
as an Alpine. It seems, according to HW200 that Shelby himself has the same
opinion, at least regarding the identity of the #45 as an Alpine (i.e., not
from Jensen). This account certainly flies in the face of all we have been
told
about the "prototype" that Shelby was commissioned to do and which was sent to
England, driven by Lord Rootes himself, etc., etc. I believe that this latter
account has ample documentation, but I'm sure the controversy will,
unfortunately, continue.

Jim, you seem to indicate that Friedman's book states that, according to you
"There are 22 photos of Tigers starting in 1963 with first conversion of an
Alpine into a Tiger and  then several more racing Tigers." First off, this
"first conversion in 1963" would have to be the Ian Garrad authorized
conversion which contradicts what Dave told the audience at TUXXIII. Also,
what
about the "several more racing Tigers"? How many exactly and when? I guess I
will have to go buy this book myself.

Dave Friedman may be a great photographer and we are certainly grateful for
the
historically important photos he is making available. However, I would like to
alert everyone on the list that perhaps Dave's memory of the Tiger's
history is
incomplete and inaccurate. I'm sure others on the list (Norm Miller, Dick
Barker, etc.) will have more to say about this from a much more informed
position than I.

Lifeless in San Diego,

Bob