Re: Book Report

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Book Report
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:14:34 -0700
Jim, et Listers,

Some wise person once said you should believe all of what you see, half of
what you read, and none of what you hear. Well, I'm not sure about
believing everything I see, but certainly the rest is good advice. Don't
get me wrong, I'm sure the book is worth twice the price. But is it 100%
accurate? You already pointed out one error and there probably are others.
Other books about Tigers have been inaccurate as well. Bill Carroll's book
has many errors, all of which I took as gospel until later finding out
otherwise. But I suppose we'll never know if, as according to Bill, he was
actually the one who suggested to Ian putting the Ford small block into the
Alpine. After Dave's talk at TUXXIII I'm curious what he says about "the
Red one in fall of 1963" since he clearly stated and repeated several times
under questioning that neither he, nor anyone he spoke with that was at
Shelby American during that time period remembered anything about that car.
But hey, a lot of people in California can't remember much from the
sixties, so I'm not too surprised. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though.
All I'm saying is caveat reador.

Livening up in San Diego,

Bob