Re: The difference?

To: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: Re: The difference?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:49:54 -0700
Larry, et Listers,

I also react adversely to Friedman's repeated references to the Tiger's ill
handling, and his conclusion that it was due to the short wheelbase and
excess power combination. Now, mind you, this is strictly a visceral
response in defense of my car rather than any great intellectual exercise.
However, reflecting on the considerable race history that followed the 45
car's two inauspicious outings, and by Friedmans own admission, Tigers were
able to do well against formidable opponents like Cobras and Corvettes. I
would tend to conclude that Jim Adams could drive a Tiger and Lew Spencer
couldn't; or Doane Spencer could prepare a race Tiger and Shelby American
couldn't. And along those same lines, it kind of torques me a bit when
Friedman wonders rhetorically what might have happened if the Tiger racing
program at S.A. had been better supported. I'd say a much better question
is "What might have happened it Hollywood Sports Car's Doane Spencer, Jim
Adams two man traveling race program had been better supported?? The race
all day, rebuild the car in your motel room all night kind of program that
Doane and Jim carried on was simply amazing. (BTW, I did buy Friedman's
book, so now I guess it's OK for me to knock it.) Well, it's getting late
and I don't want to get myself too worked up here, so I'll just try and
enjoy Mr. Friedman's pictures and read the text only in very small doses.

Oh yes Larry, back to your question about polar moment vis-a-vis the
propensity to spin out. I don't think an engineer would argue with the
polar moment being a stability factor. For example,  I haven't seen any
short land speed record cars lately, have you? But let's consider some
examples; like Porshes for instance. I'll bet their polar moments are less
than a Tiger's,and yes they are damned scary to drive. But a really good
driver can put a rear or mid-engined Porshe around the track about a quick
as anything out there. If you want something easy to drive, don't buy a
Porshe (excluding the 944 of course) or a Tiger. But driven properly, they
can use their good maneuverability to advantage. I apologize for using your
astute observation as an excuse to beat up on Friedman, but I think the
truth is that he and his supercilious cronies just needed an excuse for
their foul-up.

Over and out,

Bob