Octane Synergy...

To: Tiger - Jan Harde <harde@cyberesc.net>
Subject: Octane Synergy...
From: Don Cordier <doncordier@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 17:42:26 -0700
Hi Jan,

I noticed your post to Wally Menke about mixing fuel.

This is a trick that we in aviation have used for many years (for our hi
performance cars).

When 100/130 octane was available, you could mix as little as 5% and
apparently raise the octane rating (knock resistance) significantly.

As 100/130 disappeared, mixing about 10% of aviation 100 LL (low lead)
seemed to achieve the same result.

In the last two years or so, it seems that the fuel producers have
altered the 100 LL.  The resulting odor and by products are just not
desirable for the gains.

A reasonable alternative is the purchase of 76 racing fuel (or
equivilent) and mixing 5% to 10% with 87, 89 or 92 grade automotive
fuel.  I suggest experimenting with a knock sensor and a light to
determine the desired results.

Of course, we have not ever used, nor do we recommend, any of this
mixture in vehicles utilizing catalytic converters.

Thanks for remembering and passing this idea along.

Best regards,

Don Cordier
Aviation Consultant
Glendale, California, USA
doncordier@earthlink.net

Office & Hangar: (818) 997-7640 (24 hours)
            FAX: (818) 553-3667
Member:  NBAA, NATA, PHPA, AOPA