Re: Octane Synergy...

To: "Don Cordier" <doncordier@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Octane Synergy...
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 04:08:28 -0700
    I never mixed the two, but I used to go up to Paine Field just north of
seattle with a 55 gallon Drum to get Av-Gas for my dads Sea plane...at least
that's what I told the guy at the field.  I even had a Tail number for him.
Read it of some sea plane that flew by one day when I got the idea.  I used the
Av-Gas in my Bike.  It was a Honda 550 Super Sport, that I had completely
rebuilt into a road race rocket. 651cc kit, Yoshimura road race cam, 13.4 CR,
and all kinds of other things to sustain the 14,000 RPM red line.  It took two
days of grinder and porting work just to get the cam lobes to clear the heads
cam galleys..it was a HUGE cam.
    Anyway, this thing would ping and knock like crazy, timed where it was
supposed to be.  rather than reduce the potential perormance and detne the
beast, I used the Av-Gas to achieve the more than anticipated horse power.  It
had 79hp at the wheel @ 12,300, and dropped to 74hp at 14,000.  This was one
very fast 550.  with a 330 lb rider (me), it would pull over 155 on flat
freeway.  This was a 750 - 900cc bike killer.  One drum of the Av-gas would last
about one season of riding.  God it was fun...But the constant tuning required
to keep it there became a real drag.  Weekly Valve adjustments, and dealing with
all of the problems associated with a bike desinged for half of that power.  I
just got tired of changing parts.  I had more 750 parts than 550 by the time I
sold.    I miss the performance.  had fore-arms like Popeye back then from
holding on to that thing..

    AvGas is great !!  I highly recommend it......

Rich