Re: Unleaded Fuel

To: "JAN HARDE" <harde@cyberesc.net>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:19:57 -0400
At 03:50 PM 8/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Wally,
>No Problem @ all, the last 2 engines I built both had the valves put in for
>the unleaded, as I don't even know where you get the Leaded any more, if you
>can then try the following for fun: put half a tank of Leaded & half
>unleaded in your car, this mix will cause a chemical reaction and cause the
>Octane rating to increase from 87 in the unleaded to over 100 octane...
>Weird but fact.... A secret @ that....Enjoy the ride.... an oil co exec.
>taught me this...
>For those who will not believe me, please try before you criticize me...also
>I am not a chemist, I just like to try something, at least once, and more
>when it works...

Jan,
        What you said was true when the lead content of leaded gas was several
grams of tetraethel lead per gallon.  The extra lead used to make
very poor gas have a reasonable octane number, when mixed with Premium unleaded
fuel did in fact increase the overall octane rating.  If the "leaded" gas has
only about 1/2 a gram then the mixture will not work as there is no "excess"
lead
to be used.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others