Re: Big Sky

To: DSand95510@aol.com
Subject: Re: Big Sky
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:02:45 +0100

DSand95510@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-07-25 21:35:36 EDT, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu writes:
>
> >Thanks for the nice first-hand description of Big Sky. Sounds like it would
> >definitely be worth the trip. Guess we should start installing our Paxton's
> >now and tuning our engines for 8000+ feet.
> >

> Big Sky Resort is approx. 7500 feet above sea level, a bit lower than SUNI I
> at Snowmass.

Note on tuning.

Big Bear is 8,000 feet at the peak, and 7,000 at the Lodge and Autocross.  Tried
rejetting 2 steps leaner on the 4 bl Holley.  Must have casued myself more
problems than if I had left it alone, due to screw-ups with that G-D o-ring.
Although the air-fuel ratio (measured by Edelbrock gadget) improved, a rich
surge would kill the engine at idle or even steady low speed.  There are
re-inforced buna-n float boawl and meter plate re-usable gaskets and nylon screw
gaskets available.  With my jets, 2 steps was .001 inch decrease per step. This
is not constant, look in the Holley or Haynes book for exact figures.  And watch
that 0-ring.  Idle mixture and level need tweaking too.  You can not, however,
make up for the lack of air density, just compensate mixture ratio for the air
that is available, unless you have a turbo.  Any 302 engined cars with the fuel
injection and computer don't have to worry - it's automatic.

In the "Alps" of Norway they pointed out the tallest mountain in this country.
It was 7500 feet.  But there was still  snow, in parts, in Late July.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >