Re: 302W Heads

To: "Walter A. Menke" <wallym@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: 302W Heads
From: jay peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:42:47 -0700
Walter A. Menke wrote:

> Can anyone of you Ford motor wizards help?
>
> I can pick up a set of late model 302W fuel injected heads (hardly used)
> here for a very reasonable price. Do these fit onto an early 289 6 bolt
> motor?, what modifications if any are required.
>
> Cheers
> Wally Menke
Wally,
I do not know what heads you are contemplating, but depending on the
chamber volume, as Doug said you may want to run pop ups to raise the
compression. I am running  massaged E7TE heads on a 64 5 bolt 289 and
have plenty of power on regular gas and figure I am at 9.0 to 1.
Things to watch for when using later heads are;
1. You may need different length push rods which are available from Ford
Motorsports.
2. Watch the cooling holes, especially on the top center area of the
heads towards the carb as they may not line up. Special gaskets may
still be available with butterfly holes, but if not you can drill the
block or heads to get proper alignment. I drilled my heads (for ease)
and have not had a problem. Failure to align the holes will lead to
overheating after a short period (approx 20 minutes) of operation.
3. You may need to buy "special" shoulder head bolts to compensate for
the larger head bolt holes in the head. An alternative to this is to use
hardened washers to spread the load so the bolts do not loosen up. Again
these are available through Ford Motorsport.

If you would like any of the part numbers for the above or help tracking
them down in the US if not available in Australia, let me know and I
would be glad to help out.
Cheers,
Jay Peterson