Re: 302W Heads

To: jay peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 302W Heads
From: Dennis Crimmins <Crimmins@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:00:19 -0700
jay peterson wrote:

> Walter A. Menke wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone of you Ford motor wizards help?
> >
> > I can pick up a set of late model 302W fuel injected heads (hardly used)
> > here for a very reasonable price. Do these fit onto an early 289 6 bolt
> > motor?, what modifications if any are required.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Wally Menke
> Wally,
> I do not know what heads you are contemplating, but depending on the
> chamber volume, as Doug said you may want to run pop ups to raise the
> compression. I am running  massaged E7TE heads on a 64 5 bolt 289 and
> have plenty of power on regular gas and figure I am at 9.0 to 1.
> Things to watch for when using later heads are;
> 1. You may need different length push rods which are available from Ford
> Motorsports.
> 2. Watch the cooling holes, especially on the top center area of the
> heads towards the carb as they may not line up. Special gaskets may
> still be available with butterfly holes, but if not you can drill the
> block or heads to get proper alignment. I drilled my heads (for ease)
> and have not had a problem. Failure to align the holes will lead to
> overheating after a short period (approx 20 minutes) of operation.
> 3. You may need to buy "special" shoulder head bolts to compensate for
> the larger head bolt holes in the head. An alternative to this is to use
> hardened washers to spread the load so the bolts do not loosen up. Again
> these are available through Ford Motorsport.
>
> If you would like any of the part numbers for the above or help tracking
> them down in the US if not available in Australia, let me know and I
> would be glad to help out.
> Cheers,
> Jay Peterson
Hey folks,
I need a little guidance here.
I found a 64 ranchero with a somewhat stock 260 engine in it.  Paint is
excellent. Some mods to the rear end...9bolt something or other. 302
heads on the motor.. but this guy has all of the stock parts as well.
What is the car worth.  Overall excellent shape.. new valve job.  West
Coast car.  How Much??

Dennis Crimmins  B9473173