Re: 289's

To: FHSLOTH@aol.com
Subject: Re: 289's
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:27:15 -0700
Fred,

I had a similar experience.  I confidently asked for a Ford starter,
core trade after I changed parts, and was handed a pretty one.  As I was
leaving, I thought I'd fool the counter man and ask him to make sure it
was the correct starter for my car.  I thought he would take one look at
the little green car in the lot and laugh.  He didn't bat an eye, just
looked under  the car, took back the starter, and gave me another.  He
could tell at a glance.  I found later that it matched the 4 digit part
number of the one I took off, and the other didn't  (use that as a guide
for interchangeability, as they do).  Worked fine.

I think the difference is more driven by WHICH 289 starter you get, late
or early, Ford or Lincoln, or Merc.  The major differences are in number
of starter ring gear teeth and flywheel diameter/set-back.  This effects
the Bendix and drive teeth diameter, count, and set-back.  There is also
a difference when they changed the balance weight amount.  This is
paramount in the flywheel, engine, balancer, and pulley (4 bolt and 3
bolt).  Also the 6's were different.

Best advice, bring in the old one and make sure the numbers match.
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/