Re: 289 vs 260 ID

To: nfgjr@juno.com
Subject: Re: 289 vs 260 ID
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:51:02 -0700
Norm,

You are quite welcome, and I found someone who had a 5 bolt HiPo 289
being re-built and didn't even know it.  I asked the re-builder if the
owner wad willing to sell.  The answer was no.

Just for those stuck with the problems of finding a good 289 5 bolt,
there IS another answer.  A conversion of your gearbox by putting all
the good working parts, and tail-shaft, on a later top-loader case, like
the MkII has.  They are readily available, and can even allow a
wide-ratio conversion (recommended).  This gives you the ability to use
a 6 bolt bell  housing and block.  After all, it's no longer stock with
a 289 anyway, unless it's a MkII which has 6 bolts already.  You will
need a later front bearing retainer, but those are easy to come by.

 I agreee with you, mike the bore, if you are buying a block. I have
seen re-built 5 bolt 260 and 289 blocks that were 0.060 over, and
recommend staying away from them.  Also seen a 5 bolt stock bore
re-build.  How? With expensive sleeves.  Heard pro's and con's on
sleeving.  I kind of like the Triumph wet sleeve method, but that's not
po$$ible with a Ford (not typo's).

Steve

                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >