289 vs 260 ID

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 289 vs 260 ID
From: nfgjr@juno.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:56:17 -0400
Having been politely admonished for not checking all my reference manuals
on the Part Number structure for Ford hardware, I still affirm that when
you are looking for a good 260 block ( I was in an engine depart af a
Mercury Comet in an automotive reclamation facility when I found mine)
and like me do not posess a photographic memory, it is far easier to
measure the bore and if it is 3.8 it is a 260. If someone successfuly
bores a 260 to 4.0 and ran it than you probably have the reason it is in
the junkyard.

Someone asked if all 289's were 6 bolt and the answer is no. There were
standard 289's and 289 Hi-Po's made with a 5 bolt bellhousing. You don't
want to price the Hi-Po.

Thanks Steve. You are making me dust off my books and a little more
knoledge never hurt anyone.

Norm Garland
nfgjr@juno.com