Longwinded on the road

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Longwinded on the road
From: CobMeister@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:12:29 EDT
Hey Gang,

Still in Round Rock today, just lazing around, not planning on doing nothin'
in particular.

For one thing, Dana and Brian had a whole case of Vernors in the fridge when I
arrived!   So I will see if I can make a dent in that for them.

The Alpine hidden in the garage was quite a hit... They insist on leaving the
'Pine in there while relegating their brand new Honda CRV to driveway parking.
Nice kids!

I have heard from a number of you that you have not received all 5 of the
"long posts."  I have tried to respond to you individually and resend the
missing posts but don't have a lot of faith that it is working just right.
During this trip I am using my Powerbook laptop with a 2400 (yes, gang, only
two zeros on there!) modem, a set-up that I have not used in half-a-dozen
years and which is incredibly sloooowww.  I am also using AOL, a service which
often disappoints.

The long post series (of which this message is NOT a part) is being posted
only to the Alpine and Tiger mailing lists.  I considered posting to
Britishcar and a couple of the others but it just got to be too big a hassle.

I think that those of you who, like me, use one of the digests are having
difficulty getting these posts though I don't know why.  I note that the long
posts have failed to appear on ALL of my Alpine Digests but from individual
emails I know at least some of you Alpiners have received them.  The posts
have shown on up on the Tiger list every time.

Go figger.

I have also attempted individual messages to many of you and think some of
them may not have gone through, God knows why.

It does not help that I am often writing and sending this stuff while running
on the thin edge of exhaustion.  In Brenham the other day, at maybe 4 PM,
whilst Janet napped on the bed I was diligently typing away, paused to think a
moment and managed to fall asleep at the keyboard!  Fingers poised on the keys
and everything.

Well, better to fall asleep at the keys than at the wheel...

It looks to me like I have a couple of hundred emails in my account queue.  I
am trying to respond to direct questions and comments based on senders' names
and subject lines.  The rest of the stuff I am leaving in the queue for some
later date.

I thought I could get all caught up today by using my daughter's HP with 28.8
modem and so forth but I had a hell of a time trying to figger out something
called "windows."  You have to click on a whole bunch of little icons to have
it do much of anything and then it is usually the wrong thing, at that.

So now I am back on the old Macintosh Powerbook, slow but intuitive.  The
Powerbook and me, both.

So anyway, if you missed a "long post" and would like it just let me know and
I will resend.  If you ask me to resend and you still don't get it, shake my
tree again as it will probably mean that I tried and did not succeed in
sending it along.

The current plan is to spend several days here in the Austin area and leave
Sunday-Monday, something like that, depending on what may be going on at our
place in NM.

We used to live in this area, actually in Wimberley which is about 45 miles
from Austin.  It is a beautiful area and has an abundance of nice folks but
very few LBC's.  Also, I can't understand how this area's weather could get so
much worse in the last 10 years.  Hot and humid as it is here, it is a
veritable garden spot when compared to the Gulf Coast and Louisianna.

This area does have great  bobbycue and fair Mescan food although the fajitas
around here are really great.

The immediate concern for me will be trying to find someplace where I can get
theAlpine's  radio worked on and another place where I can buy a suitable
aftermarket coolant recovery system and a couple of other goodies.

I may try to deal with the bonnet latch but am growing fond of my bungee cord
arrangement... I feel it adds a touch of panache, donchaknow?  Janet says that
all those times I read and re-read "The Grapes of Wrath" have finally paid
dividends.  The Joads would be proud of us as we motor westward.

--Colin Cobb, Getting Ready For A Nap Outside Austin, TX