Re: Brake Rotors

To: GROSS@UNIT.COM, alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Rotors
From: RSpontelli@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 00:48:41 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-24 12:30:58 EDT, GROSS@UNIT.COM writes:

<< OK, lets start the next story Ramon.

 Why could I not turn down the OD of a later more plantifull disc and use
 it on the "god awfull roundish pad early girling" caliper?

 I spied a late disc once, and the dimensions all looked OK
 save the OD of the disc.

 Enlighten me. >>

Because if you did that, then the inside edge of the pads would hang over the
inside lip of the disk.  Though the later rotors are larger in diameter, the
inside edge of the disk also is moved outward.

Next time you compare early/late rotors, compare the diameters of the inside
edges of the disks as well.  The difference is about the same as the
difference in the outside dimeters, and the "swept" distance from the inside
to the outside of the disk is about the same on both.  That's why you can't
just turn down a later rotor and use it on an early car--not without doing
something else, anyway.

Ramon