Re: Austin In My Rearview Mirror (Longish post #6)

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>, CobMeister@aol.com
Subject: Re: Austin In My Rearview Mirror (Longish post #6)
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:38:19 -0700
Steve, Colin, et Listers,

Now, I assume you know that you're not SUPPOSED to be able to take the key
out of the ignition. That "feature" only appears after many years of use.
It could, in fact, be hazardous to drive around without the key in the
ignition. You never know when your Sunbeam might be possessed by the
"sudden acceleration syndrome". This phenomenon is known to most often
strike people over 50, and racers approaching sharp left turns at high speeds.

Bob

P.S., I hope this doesn't break my vow to Tim to refrain from bashing Colin
anymore.

At 08:19 AM 8/25/98 -0700, Steve Laifman wrote:
>Colin,
>
>Still enjoying your trip reports, and getting sympathetic indigestion
>from all that grease.

snip - snip - snip - - -

>Jay's idea about removing the key was a very good one, as the weight of
>the key, and key holder, can cause the ignition position to 'swing' away
>from the contact position.  In your particular instance, the mass of the
>K-Bar you have hanging off the key is probably a contributing factor.
>Once you leave Texas, maybe you can restore it to the hidden holster
>under the seat.
>
>{9->
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >
>B9472289              < one first love, and   >
>                      < one first win, is all >
>                      < you get in this life. >
>

>_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>                         _/
>                    _/_/_/

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com