Re: Multigrade Oils

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Multigrade Oils
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:11:48 -0700
Bob,

A cogent response, with the supporting rationale, on why multi-grades
are not universally better, and a good caution on the need for a good
detergent oil.    Your "racing oil" story was interesting. Many follow
the racer's examples, but they don't tear their engine down after every
race. Bugatti used castor oil, pre-heated on a wood stove and put back
in the engine before starting it.  Most of the older race cars used to
use only castor oil. (Hence 'Castrol', which originally was castor oil).
Woe be to those emulated the racers, but who don't tear their engine
down frequently.

There was a stink about a form of Mobil 1 that was used in jet aircraft
engines, but I don't recall a similar problem with cars.  I too am using
a synthetic (Mobil 1 90 wt gear oil) in the tranny.  After breaking new
parts in with regular oil, I drained it out and replaced it  ($10/qt.).
Much slicker now.  Even shifts faster.  If I ever get around to that
limited slip in the garage, I'll probably do the same to the rear end.

Like you, I find it hard to let go of the 10W-40 (low mileage) Castrol
or Valvoline in my case.  Old habits are hard to break.  If you change
it often enough, those break-down products are unlikely to be very many,
and the engine does have a large range of temperatures to operate under,
even in So. Cal.  Maybe I should 'sneak' up on it by going to the 50%
synthetic Castrol or Valvoline multi-grade, gaining courage as I make
another couple of thousand miles, or so.

Hate to change in mid stream.  In the 50's, you wouldn't touch anything
but straight, non-detergent 30W.  What a mess that engine sludge was on
tear-down.  Once I used a "flushing oil" to get all that 'gunk' out. You
would idle the engine until hot with this stuff, then drain it, and the
'gunk' out.  Believe it was probably straight kerosene.  Anyway, after
the deed was done, the crud really came out, and the oil stayed clean.
Of course the flushing also removed all the carbon sealing the rings,
and it burned oil like mad.  Natural reluctance to give up on something
that works,

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >