<click here to enter the subject>

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>, <PSobol@comdial.com>
Subject: <click here to enter the subject>
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:16:00 -0400
Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Division of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com

Sobol, Perry wrote:
>Tiger Fans,
>I have to replace the 289 in my MKII. I favor the Motorsport 302.
>Has anyone out there done this

The Garage Queen got the FMS motor 4-5 years ago, replacing a 260; won't
bore the List w/most of the details. Yeah, had to have the damper machined
down, but most of the rest of it was simple wrench-slinging. Consider
swapping out the cam in that thing; I ignored a warning to do so and
_sometimes_ regret it. I'd take the advice offered about checking into
alternative motors from other sources, but take into account that the FMS
motor is new, not rebuilt; the others may or not be, I dunno. E-mail me
w/any questions.

Steve Laifman wrote:
>Good news about your shared coffee cup (ain't love grand).  Tyger
>Tekknoledgys has announced a reproduction of the original Rootes Tiger
>coffee cup holder.  LAT 220

Thanks, Steve, for that info; you know I'll order one of anything that says
LAT on it. Will LAT221 be the wood 'picnic tables', a la Jag, for the backs
of the seats and who the h*** could sit back there to use 'em, anyway?

Craig Wright wrote:
>Not quite, more like .010" to .020" offset. An yes, the rods, crank
>and wrist pins hold up fine with 500 HP coming out of a 247.

Hi, cousin. A 247? Wasn't that a Crosley straight-eight? I'm not old enough
to remember.  :-)

Bill Gullatt wrote:
>I got a nice Grant Cobra Style wheel at SECO in Huntsville, AL.
>It is Mahogany and polished aluminum. They even had the adapter in stock.
>Make sure if you get a Grant to get their signature line.

I think the Grant wheels are often overlooked, perhaps because they don't
have a fancy European name (or perhaps the stigma of the cheap rubber-grip
and "chain-link" wheels they've made). Didn't know they made a Sunbeam hub;
I made my own. Sure wish I could find the wheel-to-hub screws in stainless,
I think it would look better, perhaps I'll try an industrial or aircraft
supply house. I have the same wheel you have on the GQ, and Grants on
everything else that doesn't have an airbag, and a couple more laying
around the garage.

Colin wrote (and boy, _did_ he):
>Ah! Maybelline, why'd ya go back to doin' the things you used to do?

There _ought_ to be a good Sunbeam song; I'm not going to count that
sucks-and-a-half McMurty piece from a couple of years back, which is truly
dreadful. Any professional musicians out there? We seem to have experts
(zing!) on every other subject. The rest of us might recommend lyrics; what
rhymes with T** ?

Last night, I swapped out the thermostat. I'll retire the 160 degree unit,
as the post about "premature engine wear" spooked me, and the car really
doesn't seem as smooth-running on the lower thermostat. Ol' Desmond
might've done a stint at Ford, too, when the decision to make the
thermostat housing connection a vertical one (I see that Chevy does their's
horizontal). The four steps of thermostat changing:
A) Try balancing the 'stat in the housing and tipping it into place, then
cuss a lot when it slips loose at the last instant. Repeat as required.
Drink a beer and think about it.
B) Apply Permatex (just a little) to the two parts to bond the 'stat to the
housing, then wait 3 hours for it to set up. Drink more beer.
C) Realize, just after you finally get it installed, that you could have
removed the upper hose from the housing and stuck a couple of fingers in
the opening to align the 'stat while installing the bolts.
D) Contemplate having the housing drilled and tapped to accept tiny
stainless machine screws _inside_, to positively bolt the 'stat to the
housing.

My little hint for the day: I wanted to put in some Water Wetter while I
was at it. I had drained out about a gallon of coolant into a bucket, then
added the WW into the header tank. Now if I poured the contents of the
bucket back in, unless I caught it just right (using a pretty small funnel,
and that header tank fills __real_ fast), I'd be washing the garage floor
in coolant when it overflowed. Well, the beer in steps A&B hadn't messed me
up too bad, so it occurred to me to fill the empty WW bottle with coolant
from the bucket first. Therefore, the amount in the bucket was what I took
out less the amount of the bottle of WW that I had just put into the
system. I could pour with confidence. I guess I could carry the little
bottle, now filled with coolant, around with me for emergencies...

"I can't get no-- Satis-traction"