Tiger Temps

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tiger Temps
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 03:40:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/98 1:52:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mmeswarb@huntel.net writes:

> Are joking or is it true that the MK II's came with this gauge?  I have
> one in my car, but don't really like it.  Did it only come in the MK
> II's?  Where on the gauge should I (would I like) to be running.  85C
> isn't really all that hot, but there's only a little room on the gauge
> between there and the top.

Mark,

MK I gauges were marked with both US and metric values, except for the fuel
gauge, which reads in Liters or Imperial gallons (full is 13.5 US gallons).
The US marking were bold, but if you look above them, the metric markings are
there too.

MK II Tiger (and Series V Alpine) gauges were marked in metric only (fuel
gauge excepted).  Also, the lettering, or font, is more delicate than the
"fat" style of the earlier cars.

85C is 185F. (To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply by 9, divide by
5, and add 32. Thus 95C = 203F, 100C = 212, etc.)   185F is nearing the
undesirable side (cold) for a Tiger.  A chart published in Tom Monroe's book
"Rebuilding Your Small Block Ford" shows that cylinder wear increases
dramatically for engine operating temperatures below 180F.  Above 200F, the
wear index is flat and very low.  At sea level, with a good pressure cap and a
50/50 antifreeze, your coolant should not boil even at 115C (240F).  So if I
were you, I would consider installing a higher thermostat to get your engine
operating temperature up some.

 I've never understood why some people think a lower thermostat will help
their car run cooler.  Once the thermostat opens and coolant is flowing
throughout the system, it has no effect on engine operating temp other than to
keep it above the specified thermostat opening temp.

Dick Barker