Re: Part No. Please

To: "'Tiger List'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Part No. Please
From: Don Daves <DonDaves@scvwd.dst.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 06:49:06 -0700
Jim Parent wrote:
>I'm trying to order a deck lid protector to spare the paint from my
>hardtop. . . .

I ordered one for our '66 Vette from Corvette Central in Sawyer, MI.
(800) 345-4122.  I have the part number at home and can send it later
today if you still want to pursue it.  It cost $20 plus about $5
shipping.  It's one-piece and is die cut about 3 inches wide, fits
exactly under the rubber seal where the top meets the deck, and wont fit
the Tiger without some snipping here and there.  Best as I can figure
it, you'd have to cut it into 3 pieces and even then, some of the deck
won't be covered because of the way it curves around the edges of the
Vette's top.

It comes in black or clear.  I bought the clear.  It's a dense, thin
vinyl material like the stuff they make those peel & stick window
decorations out of, where you peel them off a glossy piece of cardboard
and stick to the window and it just stays there until you peel it off.
When it's pressed onto your painted deck, it's almost invisible.  When
you take the top off and remove the protector, it rolls up nice and
small.   The one nuisance with it is that it attracts dirt and lint and
is a little hard to clean off.  When you press it into place, you feel
every little grain of debris that gets trapped between it and the paint,
so you need to make sure the vinyl and the paint where you attach it is
absolutely clean.

It works real well and I think this vinyl can be found possibly at a
hobby store or maybe a craft shop or yardage shop.  Let me know if you
still want to order one from Corvette Central and I'll post the part
number.

Don Daves