New England Fall Gathering

To: FMcCjr@aol.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net, ProfTowle@aol.com
Subject: New England Fall Gathering
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:07:08 -0400

     Tigers East/Alpines East Joins British Motorcars of New England
     At British Under Wing '98, Quonset Air Museum
     488 Eccleston Ave, North Kingstown, RI
       Museum Phone: (401)294-9540

     For our fall meeting, we'll be joining with British Motorcars of New
     England at their "British Under Wing" event. Sorry for the short
     notice, but the publicity for the event just reached me on 9/1, and I
     was expecting it to be in October.

     Quonset Point is a decommissioned Naval Air Station, just across the
     bay from Newport.  The museum has a small but interesting collection
     of both American, and some foreign aircraft.  Some are restored, some
     are works in progress.  The aircraft, most of which are of WWII
     vintage or newer,  are displayed both outside and inside the old
     hanger.

     There will be a concours, with awards presented in several age based
     classes.  Gates open at 9:30, and registration for the show ends
     around noon.  If they do it like previous years, concours participants
     will be parking between the aircraft on display.  There's ample
     parking for spectators, too.  Show registration is $5, spectators will
     just pay the nominal museum entry fee.

     So get there by noon if you want to be in the concours, or show up a
     bit later and just check out the cars and planes.  As usual, bring
     parts you want to swap, tall tales, ideas or whatever.  You should
     probably plan on bringing food, just in case there's none nearby.

     North Kingstown is just south of Providence, and is just a short way
     off of Rt 95.

     The directions from Rt. 95 (as provided by Switchboard, on the
     Internet):

     Take Route 4 (SOUTH).  This is a LEFT if you are southbound.

     After about 2.6  mi, BEAR RIGHT (exit) onto DAVISVILLE RD [Route 403
     ,SOUTH]

     After 0.6  mi, BEAR RIGHT onto DEVILS FOOT RD [Route 403, EAST]

     Go about 2.3  mi.  FOLLOW as road goes into QUONSET ACC. RD.

     Go about 1.5  mi.  CONTINUE onto QUONSET RD.

     As you follow Quonset Road, you will find yourself driving by Electric
     Boat, the submarine factory.  Watch for Eccleston Ave on the left.
     The Museum is just a short way up Eccleston,  in the big old hanger on
     the right.

     I haven't tried these directions, but they look about right on the
     map.  There are supposed to be signs pointing you toward the museum
     along the way, so watch for them.

     For British Under Wing Details:    Bob Stahlbush, (401)944-8727
     TE/AE Details:  Stu Brennan    (508)384-2488