Re: Speedo trouble

To: Joe Hankins <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Speedo trouble
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:43:17 -0700

Joe Hankins wrote:

> Looks like I'm in good company! I, too, ordered a speedo cable from VB, and
> it wrecked my speedo. I've got the speedo rebuilt, but still don't have a
> cable. Any suggestions?
>
> BTW, I also orderd brake shoes from VB tht didn't fit, either.  Xaveat
> emptor!
>
> Joe

Joe,

When I had my speedo cable (insides) changed I went to a speedo shop.  They
measured the original cable, and made the new one to the same dimensions.
Later, when I changed transmissions, the speedo was not working. The cable
wouldn't reach the speedo head!

Went to a local shop, who insisted they only have tools for American cars, and
they were experts on Smiths and insisted it required special British
fittings.  I insisted these particular speedometers were made at the factory
to fit stock Ford cable fittings.  He pulled out the old center core, made
another to match plus a couple of inches.  He knew that inner cable (core)
pressure could ruin the head, so he carefully fitted it, putting the brass
bearing at the correct length, and was going to re-cut the other end if it
when he knew the correct length.  That is when he found the cable housing end
was not firmly cinched to the outer sheath (make SURE yours is steel, not the
original plastic).  So he slid the outer sheath/nut along the cable until the
end protruded the correct amount, and re-swaged the outer housing.  Everything
works just fine, but my inner cable is a little longer.  If I had done that
originally, wouldn't have neeeded the new cable.

In your case, I think the cable end, beyond the inner cable brass bearing, is
too long, and that tightening the outer nut will put too much pressure on the
speedo inner bearings.  Can be ground down so that a loose outer housing nut
is not necessary.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >